Station 7 and INRI
Madonna and Child in the Lady Chapel
Do This and Crucifixion
Station 8 and Organ corbel
Organ corbel and Station 9
1902 foundation stone by Eric Gill, then articled to W. D. Caroe.
The information sheet for the E17 Art Trail exhibition at St Barnabas Walthamstow states that the church is delighted to have borrowed art works by Henry Shelton. Around the church are his Stations of the Cross, previously displayed in York Minster and currently in search of a permanent home in another church setting.
In addition to the Stations of the Cross, we are displaying five other recent paintings by Henry Shelton. These are in the Lady Chapel and are as follows:
- INRI (2007) - showing the letters hung above Jesus on the cross and meaning 'Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews'.
- Suffer the Children (2009) - painted with Amy Penfold (8 yrs), Henry's granddaughter. This refers to Jesus telling his disciples to put up with children and "let them come to me, for the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these."
- Madonna and Child (2008) - an interpretation of the baby Jesus with his mother Mary.
- Do This (2008) - referring to Jesus' command that his followers eat bread and drink wine to remember his body and blood.
- Crucifixion (2008) - recalling Jesus' death on the cross.
St Barnabas Walthamstow is itself a work of art, an architectural gem. It is a Grade II listed building designed by W.D. Caroe and completed in 1903. Among the art treasures contained in the church are:
- a carving of Christ the Good Shepherd (c. 1890) by Peter Brunner and originally part of the Children's Shrine at St Martin's-in-the-Fields.
- reredos from Children's Chapel of St John's, Red Lion Square (c. 1925) by Christopher Webb.
- Veni Creator Spiritus, lettercutting on slate behind the font (1994) by Charles Smith.
- East window stained glass (1903) by Clayton and Bell.
- Foundation stone (1902) by Eric Gill, then articled to W. D. Caroe.
- Statues of St Michael and two angels (1910) by Alec Miller.
- Organ corbels (2000) by Charles Gurrey.
- Green reredos designed by Julian Litten (1989) and incorporating panels of the four evangelists (painted c. 1860).